Heading Back to School Safely
As the nights grow cooler and the leaves begin to turn, it’s hard not to notice more school buses and backpacks out and about.
August is winding down and it is, of course, back to school season! Depending on who you are it’s a time of year that brings joy or dread, but either way it’s here.
And as the students of all ages head back to the classroom, we wanted to provide some safety reminders for this incredibly busy time of year.
For students, parents and anyone else who will be out and about, it’s important to remember traffic on the roads and sidewalks will be increasing very soon! So, be sure to pay extra close attention. Here are a few tips from the National Safety Council (NSC):
- For Children Walking to School:
- Walk on the sidewalk. If you must walk on the road, walk facing traffic.
- Look both ways before crossing the street.
- Do not walk and text or talk on the phone.
- Do not run out in front of parked cars.
- For Children Biking to School:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Follow the rules of the road: obey stop signs and lights, ride single file on the right side of the road, stop before crossing the street and walk the bike across.
- Use hand signals when making turns.
- Wear bright/reflective clothing.
- For Children Riding the Bus:
- Stand at least six feet away from the curb while waiting for the bus.
- Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before approaching it.
- Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before standing to exit.
- If you must cross the street in front of the bus, walk far enough in front of it to be able to see whether traffic from the other direction has stopped.
- For Drivers:
- Don’t block crosswalks.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Take extra care and slow down in school zones.
- Never pass a vehicle stopped to pick up pedestrians.
- Never pass a school bus that is picking up or dropping off students.
Getting to school poses dangers on the road, but parents will want to be aware of possible dangers during the school day itself. For example, the NSC asks parents to be sure to buy their children proper backpacks to avoid any back pain or injuries. The council also advises parents run through playground and recess safety reminders with their young children.
From all of us at SERVPRO of West Brown County, we wish you a very safe, fun and happy back to school!