Preparing for Natural Disasters
Natural disasters include tornadoes, floods, wildfires, earthquakes, and hurricanes. Man-made disasters include events such as power outages, arson, terrorist attacks, and radiation threats. Some of the steps a family can take to prepare for an emergency are the same for either a natural or a man-made disaster. For example, a well-stocked medical supply kit is valuable regardless of the type of disaster.
A comprehensive family disaster plan should, at the bare minimum, address the following 10 items.
1.Identify Hazards in the Home.
2. Obtain First Aid Supplies and CPR Skills.
3. Establish a Disaster Meeting Place and Family Contact.
4. Develop Adequate Water Storage.
5. Prepare a Food Supply.
6. Store Emergency Supplies.
Basic emergency supplies should include the following.
- Power flashlight and extra batteries
- Battery-powered radio
- Prescription medicines and vital over-the-counter medicines
- First aid kit
- Toiletry articles
- Filtered masks for nose and mouth
- Infant and small children’s needs (if appropriate)
- Fire extinguisher
7. Develop an Emergency Evacuation Plan.
8. Prepare for Disaster in a Vehicle.
9. Prepare for Disaster at Work or School.
10. Practice, Modify, and Maintain the Plan.
In an unfortunate situation that you may need help in clean up, SERVPRO of Brown County is here to help. We are here 24/7, 365 days a year, give us a call at 920-434-8224