How to Prepare for a Storm
Taking proactive steps to protect your family and property from severe storms before they hit can save lives and minimize damage to your home or business.
The first step is to create a written disaster plan and review it with everyone in your family. Make sure everyone knows where to go and what to do in case of an emergency. Identify an emergency meeting place, such as a park, building, or other landmark near your home. If you get separated during the storm, have everyone meet at the designated location.
It is smart to assign an out-of-state friend or relative to be your family’s emergency contact person. Teach all of the adults and responsible children how to shut off utilities in your home. Shutting off gas and water mains can decrease your risk of additional damage.
To prepare for a storm, each family should have an emergency kit.
Since you may have to evacuate on short notice, pack your emergency kit into backpacks and have them ready to go. Everyone in the family should know exactly where the emergency kits are located.
Your emergency kit should contain:
- Battery powered flashlight
- Portable battery powered radio
- Extra batteries
- List of emergency phone numbers
- Prescriptions and essential medicines
- First aid kit
- Nonperishable emergency food
- Bottled water (1 gallon per person, per day)
- Non-electric can opener
- Disposable camera
- Credit cards and cash
- Change of clothing
- Sturdy shoes or boots
- Important papers, identification and bank information
Your families primary focus should be more on keeping everyone safe. Let the trained technicians at SERVPRO of Brown County take some of the worries off your hands by clearing out the damage to your residence.
SERVPRO of Brown County offers:
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- Highly Trained Water Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Water Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
Restoration work following storms or interior damage to your home is a cornerstone of the SERVPRO business. Give our trained technicians a call at, (920) 434-8224.